Saturday 6 February 2016

EVALUATION QUESTION 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My media product represents the following; Class, Race, Age, Gender, and Sexuality.

CLASS; 

The audience my product would be targeted at would be middle class. 
I have represented class within my production through my protagonist, as it is suggested and shown throughout the footage that she has a well paid job as a police women, she clearly has the knowledge to be able to solve the crime she has been given, and adds enigma to the piece as it is unknown what she is investigating. The costumes do not add to the representation of class as the protagonist is just wearing comfy, black clothes in her house, this questions the class of the character as she is not dressed as you would stereo-typically see a middle class women. 

RACE;

The race I am representing within my thriller is white. Both my protagonist and antagonist are white, one a victim of a unknown crime, and the other is a white police women. My production does not contain any black characters, this does not discriminate against black people, I just did not include a black person in my thriller.


AGE;

My production would appeal and is targeted at people aged 18-28. The characters in my media product are just younger than this, however one of them plays a character who has the job and abilities of a 25 year old as established through multiple shots. My production supports the stereotype that young people are stronger than old people, as my protagonist is capable and knowledgeable to solve a crime everyone is talking about.

GENDER;

 My production represented women as strong, capable people who can do a good job at solving crimes just as a man is stereotyped to do. There is no male character throughout my media production, however there is the police radio recordings that are in a male voice, the stereotype that men are the center role of a thriller film is not prominent here and therefore goes against the stereotype completely.

 ______________________________________________________________

My thriller represents two social groups, one being teenage victims, and the other being middle class workers (in this case a police women). Although my media project does not portray any stereotypical conventions of teenagers, such as typical locations they tend to hang around like the park or near garages, it is obvious the victim is within the teen region as she looks young, and many suggestions are made through minimal images within the newspapers. Middle class workers are represented throughout the piece from within the house of the police officer, again, there is nothing overly accentuated to show that this character is middle class, such as over priced gadgets etc, however the house in which they are situated is presentable and modern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment